Medford AAUW Accomplishments, Fall 2018-Spring 2019
- KidSpree 2018 serves 168 children in our community. Chair Gail Etchie & Branch members Jackie Baker, Val Barr, Donna Corey, Sharon Fox, Sandy Heath, Carol Koszyk, Marlene Olson, Regula Pepi, Glenda Sims & Dee Wittenberg participate.
- Chaired by Mary Wright Gillespie, “Best Little Whorehouse in Texas”
- Camelot Theater buyout raises $3000+ for AAUW Funds
- Chaired by Patty Finch & Jackie Baker, Phantom Tea Party raises $6700+ for local scholarships
- May 18th Scholarship Luncheon honors six $2100 recipients (2 @ SOU, 4 @ RCC)
- 2019 Garden Tour raises $7100+ for RCC and SOU scholarships, thanks to Co-Chairs Robin Smith and Monica Weyhe and Branch members: Donna Anderson-Betteridge, Paulette Avery, Jackie Baker, Valerie Barr, Barbara Basden, Judy Blue, Carol Bogedain, Janet Brougher, Ronnie Budge, Liz Caldwell, Carolyn Chamberlin, Gayle Clason, Donna Corey, Jane Davie, Cathy de Wolfe, Amanda Denbeck, Gail Etchie, Patty Finch, Sharon Fox, Mary Wright Gillespie, Bonnie Goldfein, Elizabeth Harris, Sandy Heath, Joan Johnson, Camille Korsmo, Carol Koszyk, Yvette McCulley, Teri Moser, Anne Newins, Marlene Olson, Shiena Polehn, Jan Purkeypile, Diane Reiling, Carol Rugg, Joan Rycraft, Carol Schaefer, Sherry Schroeder, Sharon Shatswell, Marcia Simon, Dawn Stewart, Pat Stoddard, Janis Taft, Sue Thornburg, Dee Wittenberg & Tricia Wood.
- Gayle Clason & Bonnie Goldfein attend Oregon State Lobby Day, meeting with Rep. Jeff Golden to promote 2 legislative initiatives
- Joan Rycraft, Gayle Clason & Bonnie Goldfein attend State AAUW Convention
- Branch receives 5-fold recognition at State Convention: for recruitment & fund-raising
- 2019 Named Gift Honorees: Paulette Avery, Val Barr & Bonnie Goldfein
- MUWCF plans underway for Hoedown event at Bayer Winery Sept. 28, 2019. Only 250 tickets available @ $65 ($50 tax-deductible).
- Appointment of Financial Review Committee: Joan Rycraft, Jan Purkeypile & Monica Weyhe, new VP/Finance
- Receipt of thorough Report from Committee; establishment of Reserve Funds
- VP/Finance presents monthly reports and 2019-2020 Budget with Y/Y data
- 2019-2020 Budget approved by member vote June 1, 2019
- Annual Joint Board Meetings (2018 & 2019) invite attendance by MUWCF Board members
- Saturday-only meeting schedule altered to include 2 Thursday evening meetings
- Saturday Meeting attendance: from 28 (Nov.) to 38 (Sep.). Thursdays: 32 & 30
- Members sign in for Meetings and earn entries in raffles
- Re-design of Meetings to Program-based Format: Short & Featured Programs
- Branch business conducted at Board meetings & reported to members via email
- Matters needing members’ votes pre-announced & presented at Meetings
- Members donate cleaning supplies for Rogue Retreat clients
- Members vote to provide snacks & water at General Meetings, ending coffee/tea service
- Joan Rycraft named Oregon AAUW South District Director
- Holiday Party is a festive Potluck at Sun Oaks Clubhouse. 49 members attend.
- Holiday Party-goers donate $2200+ to Paradise CA victims & $600+ to Maslow
- 2019-2020 program line-up planned* by Program VPs Carol Schaefer & Val Barr & Program Committee: Camille Korsmo & Bonnie Goldfein
- Yvette McCulley attends Grants Pass AAUW’s “Girls Rock!” for S.T.E.M. ideas.
- T.E.M. committee – Chair Yvette McCulley & Dawn Stewart, Shiena Polehn, Glenda Sims, Elizabeth Harris and Janet Brougher — plan S.T.E.M. events.
- Strategic Plan Committee – Chair Gayle Clason & members Valerie Barr, Donna Corey, Yvette McCulley & Mardy Stevens– to review & update 2014 Plan, including charting ways to raise funds for branch operations.
- Two Shaping the Future free National memberships ($59 each) awarded June 1 (5+ meetings attended 2018-19 for entries). Winners: Elizabeth Harris & Shiena Polehn
- As of this date, Medford AAUW has 109 Branch members and 10+ Interest Groups
- AAUW Meetings now advertised in The Mail Tribune’s Tempo magazine
- Medford AAUW’s Camille Korsmo profiled in 2019 OLLI brochure
- 2019 Garden Tour featured in full-page article in The Mail Tribune
- Features added to Musings: AAUW Mission Statement, Spotlight (member profile), Celebrate Birthdays (members & other important women), What’s New (self-explanatory) Academic Profile (update on former scholarship recipients), Musings Marketplace (forum for sharing needs & offers), Public Policy Update (expanded) and MORE PICTURES.
- Deleted from Musings: Half-page mailing block (providing more room for content). Musings in envelopes will go to 3 remaining members without computers.
- Board & members vote to pay Musings designer Amanda Denbeck $25/month for ten months of Musings’ publications in 2019-2020.
- Bonnie handling editorial management responsibilities through June, 2020.
- Jean Foley is Branch Webmaster as of July 1, 2019. Thanks to Barbara Basden for filling this position through June 30th.
- Gail Etchie & Monica Weyhe, Co-Chairs/Communication, distribute Musings, eBlasts & other materials to members.
- Member Directory publishing responsibility moves from Communications to Membership. Sandy Heath & Monica Weyhe will produce 2019-2020 Directory.
- Co-VP/Membership Board position remains open as of this date.
Prepared by Bonnie Goldfein, Medford AAUW President (June 26-July 3, 2019) Lists of participants in Events and Committees furnished by Event/Committee Chairs
Medford AAUW Officers and Board, 2018-2019
Elected Officers (Voting)
- President: Bonnie Goldfein
- Immediate Past Presidents: Carol Koszyk, Dee Wittenberg
- Vice President/Finance: Monica Weyhe
- Co-Vice President/Programs: Carol Schaefer, Val Barr
- Vice President(s)/Membership: Sharon Shatswell, Sandy Heath
- Secretaries/General Meetings: Janet Brougher, Cathy deWolfe
- Secretaries/Board Meetings: Carol Koszyk, Dee Wittenberg
Appointed Board Members (Voting)
- AAUW Funds: Mary W. Gillespie
- Communications Directors: Gail Etchie, Monica Weyhe
- Interest Groups/ACT Chair: Donna Corey
- MUWCF Liaison: Joan Rycraft
- Public Policy Chair: Gayle Clason
- RCC Liaison: Jan Purkeypile
- Scholarship Liaison: Gail Etchie
- S.T.E.M. Director: Yvette McCulley
Appointed Chairs (Non-Voting)
- Hospitality: Open
- In Our Thoughts Secretary: Donna Corey
- Kidspree Chair: Val Barr
- Phone Tree Secretary: Dawn Stewart
- Webmasters: Susan Ball, Barbara Basden
- Newsletter Editor(Contracted): Amanda Denbeck
Medford Branch Board Meetings:
Third Thursdays, 4:00 p.m., Rogue Valley Manor Terrace, Terrace Room, 4th floor.
Members welcome: September 20, October 18, November 15, December 20 (cookie exchange at president’s home), January 17, February 21, March 21, April 18 and May 16. The Joint Board Meeting will be held on June 29, a Saturday.
A Proud Heritage
AAUW was created in 1881 by 17 women graduates dedicated to helping other women obtain higher education. Today, as a national organization of more than 165,000 members and supporters, AAUW has become a force in the fight for equity for women. Our local contributions to AAUW Funds go to support plaintiffs in cases involving pay equity or sexual discrimination. Nationally our members worked tirelessly for passage of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, and we celebrated on March 7 when President Barak Obama signed the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA), a law we lobbied and fought for on behalf of abused women.
The spirit of those young women in 1881 lives on in our Medford Branch. We are proud of the scholarships we have awarded to the women of Jackson County, the Fellowships and Memorial Funds we have established and the many hours we’ve devoted to helping the women and young people of the community. But we also enjoy our social activities—we have fun!
The Medford Branch offers:
A group of educated women and men with diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Informative and stimulating programs
- More than a dozen interest groups covering a wide range of topics and activities
- Several events geared to raising money for national fellowships, local scholarships, and recognition of secondary school girls involved in STEM courses
- Community outreach activities
- Membership in national and state AAUW organizations
We welcome new members and we invite YOU to JOIN US!